I am back yet again with an experiment type post! What can I say? I have way too much time on my hands.
I’ve been wanting to test this out for a while now. Basically I’ve been wondering how effective fruit juice would be when used as ink. I had a lot of fun doing this! Enjoy:)
After doing some research, I chose strawberries, cherries and blackberries because they are the most pigmented. I also read that salt and vinegar are needed for preservation. I had cute little Hello Fresh dressing jars left over, so I used those to make the ink. Here’s the official material list:
- 3 little jars
- little strainer
- little whisk
- bowl for remnants
So. I basically took the pit and stem out of the cherries and crushed them into the strainer into the jar. The cherries were the easiest to get the juice out of. I did read that you’re not technically supposed to force the juice out or your ink will be clot-y but I couldn’t really get any juice out without pressing pretty hard. The strawberries were by far the most chunky. I had to cut the strawberries into small bits before straining. The blackberries were fairly easy to get juice out of. Unsurprisingly, the blackberries produced the darkest ink.
Then I added a small bit of vinegar (maybe 1/8th of the juice produced’s worth) and a little pinch of salt to each jar. Then whisk til mixed!
To be honest it looked very promising at this point. All that was left was to test the ink with the fountain pen/quill I got from my aunt in Japan. To be honest I’m not sure what the official name of the pen is… it’s a glass pen that you dip in ink to write if that’s helpful. Anyone know it’s technical name?
I used both the fountain pen and a paint brush. Here’s what the ink looked like on paper:
All of the inks had a bit of a color change from wet to dry but blackberry’s color change was crazy. You can kind of see the wet brush stroke compared to the dried fountain pen above it. It changed from more reddish to dark blue-ish.
The application was chunky. The strawberry ink didn’t even apply with the fountain pen. I had to re write quite a bit for both the cherry and blackberry inks because they were unpredictable as to when the ink would come out.
Then I decided it might help if I put the ink through a cloth to make it smoother. Enter; a used t-shirt!
It took a while for the ink to seep through the cloth. BUT here’s the comparison:
I think filtering the ink did make it smoother and easier to apply but definitely took away a lot of the pigment. You can’t even see the filtered cherry ink let alone the filtered strawberry ink:( Although, I am impressed with the filtered blackberry ink. If I was to make ink out of fruit again, I’d probably recreate the filtered blackberry ink. You can tell the filtered inks are less spotty as well.
For now, though, the regular ink is superior. Let me know what you think:)